Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

Awesome. Glad to hear they're not VIN encoded.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hey fellas! So oddly enough I also own a 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid at 113,000 miles and the IMA service light popped up with the brake system and check engine light. My mechanic suggested buying a grid charger off of Ebay since I do not want to buy a new $2000+ IMA battery. However, on Ebay all of them seem to be compatible with only 2011 or older models. The 2012 has a Lithium ion battery of some sort. Do any of you have suggestions for possible grid chargers? Thanks.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Your mechanic is an idiot. 2012 HCH has a lithium battery. Grid charge it, and you'll burn the car down from a Lithium battery fire.

What codes do you have? If your mechanic didn't tell you, go to O'Reilly and have your codes read for free.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Haha okay, thanks. I'll find out what those codes are!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM

My wording might be a little humorous, but it's 100% true - over charge a Lithium battery, and you run a significant risk of burning down your car.

It seems they have a significant issue with their inverters. Recent post dealt with sourcing one from a salvage yard or ebay and installing.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkichline2001
Fixed! I am very happy to have my daily driver back! I was driving my motorcycle on nice days and my grandfathers 95 Buick Century on rainy days.

Thank you S Keith for your help on this!! The links you sent saved me about $1500! I saved over $3000 overall by doing it myself vs.letting the dealer fix it.

I created a case with Honda to see if they are able to help further. If they could make the IGBTs available, I could fix my old one. I'll post if I get more info...
With what part did you fix it with? The J- series or a used part that you found??? I am having the "exact" same scenario with my 2012 honda civic hybrid even how it happened while slowing down at a red light. I have all three lights like you did and all the same symptoms. I'm having a honda dealership look at it tomorrow. I had to borrow from my 401k to prepare for it. I've been able to drive mine for 3 weeks but I can't go past 1800 rpm because it's in safe mode. It seems to charge the 12v while driving but if I start it and try to let the car warm up it kills the battery so I've been starting it and going to work and shutting it straight off when I park and it's worked fine besides the safe mode restricting my acceleration. I'm pretty sure they're gonna kill my battery and tell me what they told you when I bring it in in the morning. I haven't taken it apart to look at anything, didn't think that would be a good idea... Please help me

Last edited by Chesten Conn; 12-18-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chesten Conn
With what part did you fix it with? The J- series or a used part that you found??? I am having the "exact" same scenario with my 2012 honda civic hybrid even how it happened while slowing down at a red light. I have all three lights like you did and all the same symptoms. I'm having a honda dealership look at it tomorrow. I had to borrow from my 401k to prepare for it. I've been able to drive mine for 3 weeks but I can't go past 1800 rpm because it's in safe mode. It seems to charge the 12v while driving but if I start it and try to let the car warm up it kills the battery so I've been starting it and going to work and shutting it straight off when I park and it's worked fine besides the safe mode restricting my acceleration. I'm pretty sure they're gonna kill my battery and tell me what they told you when I bring it in in the morning. I haven't taken it apart to look at anything, didn't think that would be a good idea... Please help me
Currently sitting at bob brady honda hoping not to get smacked with a $3500 problem!

Old 12-18-2019, 10:18 AM

If you can't post codes, we can't help you.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

POAE1, PODA8 and POA27

Last edited by Chesten Conn; 12-18-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Honda mechanic called and said it would be another hour and that was an hour ago. I asked if they've figured anything out and he said he thinks it's something with the main fuse and that he needed to get behind the back seat to further his diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Civic Hybrid IMA failure - Bad Power Inverter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands