12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Originally Posted by slimething
I should note, prior to the auxillary battery not recharging, the hybrid was replaced. Before it was replaced I called the dealer and asked if it was ok to drive it there to get diagnosed. They said ok. After informing me the hybrid battery needed replacing for $4200, I politely declined and had an aftermarket Dorman 3 yr/unlimited mileage installed.

It was after this the generator (as I've learned it's called, not an alternator) is not recharging the auxiliary 12v battery. It was dated July 2007 and when a load was placed on it, the voltage dropped immediately to 9v. I then purchased the Optima D24 Yellow Top and installed. I thought all was well until measuring the voltage; there is no charge voltage going to the battery.

There are no warning lights or codes. With the brand new auxiliary battery the car will run normally until it simply dies (voltage continues to drop), then all the warning lights turn on including the same 'Check Hybrid System' and 'Check VSC' prior to replacing the hybrid battery.

As there is a connector at the hybrid battery referred to as the "low voltage control cable", it makes me wonder if the installer forgot to reconnect it when installing the replacement hybrid battery.
this same thing is happening to me now, did you ever figure it out??

Old 02-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

During the installation of the battery, there is the opportunity to fail to tighten a nut that will cripple 12V charging. During the BUILD of the battery where the DC-DC converter is installed, there is a second opportunity to fail to tighten a nut properly that will cripple 12V charging.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

I'm looking to see where I post questions. I see that Kieth S had responded to many issues. I'm new, and did make a post, however, no replies.

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE , mileage 90,167 with many issues. How do I get someone to respond? I don't know how to connect with members individually. Please help

Old 02-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You need to have patience. I don't sit around here just waiting to post. I have a family and a very busy life. I suspect everybody else that contributes is in a similar boat.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could help me out?
I'm not too knowledgeable on the topic, but I need to have the Pansonic S65D26R on my 2011 Camry Hybrid replaced too, and wanted to know if any one of these options would do?
  • Hyundai Enercell S55D23R
  • Century Hybrid S55D23R
  • AtlasBX S65D26R
Cheers

Old 12-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think my 2007 TCH 12V OE battery finally gave up after 13.5 years. WOW. I am looking to replace with Energizer group 24 AGM battery from Costco. It has a provision for vent tube. I only need to recoup the temp sensor from Panasonic and stick on it.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Jim
12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos
....But there is a two wire connector that also comes out of the OEM Toyota battery. This is a temperature sensor, it measures 2.27 kilo ohms FYI. It is meant to monitor the temperature at the battery to prevent over charging. You remove it from the OEM battery by pealing back the top sticker, and by using a small screwdriver on the hot glue, pry and pop the sensor free.

I chose to put in an Optima yellow top Starting Deep Cycle, size D35 with bottom spacer battery, it cost $225.00
these are the batteries that are used in Alaska, and they last 7+ years.
You will need a 10 mm 1/4" drive socket and extension.
There is enough space and wire to have the positive and negative terminals in front, or in the rear, as you mount the battery.

I attached the sensor to the battery with a tie wrap to the hold down bar, and mounted the connector with double sided tape....
Armed with this confident story (reinforced by other internet reports,) I went out to repeat it on my 2008 hybrid Camry.
Initial symptoms were sporadic "low key battery" and then "VSC failure" (vehicle stability control) alerts on the console.
  1. The guy at Advance Auto confirmed the 12V battery needed replacement, but didn't want to sell me one, as the factory Panasonic battery's posts were reversed from everything he had in stock.
  2. This thread + other internet reports indicate folks have successfully replaced factory 12V with Duracell & Optima AGM batteries. They mention
    1. AGM type battery is important, due to location in the trunk, and AGM type out-gassing less than conventional types.
    2. the temperature sensor has to be removed from the Panasonic & glued to the top of the replacement.
    3. Some accounts mention the vent tube needs to be transferred. Some don't mention it.
    4. The OEM battery is indicated as H6, equivalent to group size 48.
  3. I bought a Duracell 48 from Batteries Plus. Upon installation
    1. I found it was at least 1/4" too big for the base bracket.
    2. I took it back into the store to replace it with a smaller size AGM.
    3. The store manager told me it wouldn't work.
      1. He could give me a smaller size battery, but it would only lead to trouble with the temperature probe. I told him, I'd just glue to probe to the top of the battery, as this thread suggests. He said it wouldn't work, due to car computers cross-checking & detecting a battery mismatch.
      2. I'm no car guy, but the placement of the poles seems to be a bigger deal than I'd expect. Both guys at Advance Auto & Batteries Plus said pole orientation was a critical factor, and didn't want to sell a battery with swapped poles.
      3. I suspect an aftermarket replacement would be do-able but with adaptation needed for either the battery size (not group 48!) or for the base bracket.
    4. Taking a cue from 2 honest guys who didn't want to sell product, I resigned myself to the stealership. Here also I got a lesson.
      1. ​​​I priced the OEM battery online at $285.
      2. I called the stealership to make sure they had it in stock. They priced the same battery at $425. If I'd've walked up to the counter and given them cash, they'd've charged me $150 more -- 49%! for the exact same item.
In the end, it was a clean swap. No more alerts. Lost the dashboard clock time, but I can't complain about that.
Good luck!

Old 03-27-2021, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

I just replaced my Panasonic 12V battery on my 07 Camry Hybrid with an Optima D35. Very quick and easy thanks to these instructions. Thank you.